Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/dcctv/public_html/includes/cls_template.php on line 281

Cairo (CNN) -- The trial of Egypt's former President Hosni Mubarak will take place behind closed doors, Judge Ahmed Refaat announced Monday, citing "the public interest" as he barred television cameras from the court.

Judges also combined the case against Mubarak with that of former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly, Refaat said.

Both men potentially face the death penalty if found guilty of ordering the killing of protesters in the revolution that toppled them earlier this year.

The trial will resume September 5, the judge said, giving officials more time to study evidence.

Some prominent Mubarak opponents welcomed the decision not to televise the trial until the announcement of the verdict.

"We need to move on with our lives and concentrate on the upcoming elections... journalists attending hearings will channel the truth out," said Waleed Rashed, a founding member of the anti-Mubarak April 6 movement.

Khaled Abu Bakr, a lawyer suing Mubarak in a civil case, said it would help "maintain objectivity" to keep cameras out.

But many people expressed anger about the decision, including Wael Omar, a founding member of Radio Tahrir.

"They could have done it for the testimonies for legal purposes, but we went a long way to get" transparency. "Maybe, they will at least broadcast certain recorded soundbites," he said.

Small crowds of Mubarak supporters clashed with opponents of the former Egyptian president Monday as he and his sons appeared at the court hearing.

The demonstrators threw rocks as security forces between them worked to restore order.

Crowds were smaller than during Mubarak's first court appearance last week.

About 840 people died and more than 6,000 were wounded in the 18 days of uprising that toppled Mubarak, bringing an end to his 30-year reign, according to Amnesty International.

Mubarak and his sons Alaa and Gamal appeared briefly in the iron cage where defendants sit before a break in the proceedings that left officials and others milling around the courtroom for over an hour, waiting for the hearing to resume.

Mubarak was wheeled back in around 12:30 p.m. on a hospital gurney to hear the judges' decisions.

As during a court appearance earlier this month, the ailing former leader and his sons were placed in a cage -- a standard procedure in Egyptian criminal trials.

Mubarak and his sons have pleaded not guilty. They all face corruption charges in addition to the accusation of responsibility for the death of protesters.

The former president's reaction to the rulings was not clear. His eyes often appeared closed, while his son Gamal appeared irritated or annoyed, and Alaa was poker-faced.

The elder Mubarak was the first leader since this year's Arab Spring revolts to face a judge.

Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was tried in absentia after he was deposed in January and fled to Saudi Arabia.

On Sunday, a judge postponed the trial of El Adly, the former interior minister and a member of Mubarak's inner circle.

The judge adjourned El Adly's proceedings after lawyers requested postponement of the hearing until after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.